Senior Development Consultant – Management Consulting Experience
We are recruiting a Senior Development Consultant with Management Consulting Experience
In this role you will be responsible for advising global donors (GiZ, IFC world Bank etc) and SMMEs as they grow businesses and value chains in Africa. You will work with our team to develop growth strategies for business and value chains and implement projects that introduce innovation, new technology, and build technical skills in agri-business.
- Project design: You will work with senior team members to develop client relationships, draft project proposals and design development programs.
- Project implementation: You will oversee a variety of projects such as value chain analysis, business case development, sector strategy development, value chain benchmarking, etc. This includes leading local teams in Africa and global experts.
- Enterprise development and capacity building: Assess and develop business cases- market research, business modelling, business plans, coaching of entrepreneurs, sector roundtables, etc.
- Studies: You will be responsible for qualitative studies with farmers, processors, agri-services companies and importers. This will enable a richer understanding of the key issues facing business and sectors & will design nuanced, practical solutions. To disseminate insights you will design, develop and host workshops, training sessions, roundtables and workshops.
- Global linkages: Engage with the private sector and other stakeholders in importing countries to conduct market research, lead investment promotion and sourcing missions, roundtables, etc.
- Business/partnership development: Develop relationships with the private sector, sector associations, knowledge centres, etc.
Who You Are
We are looking for a sharp thinking, team player who wants to make a positive difference in the world and at work. You’re willing to take on new challenges and keep learning. Our new colleague is able to work independently on different projects from beginning to end, adapting as we go and grow. They’re results-oriented and hands on. This role is best suited to someone with strong analytical skills, a person who is data driven and who tackles projects with energy and a positive spirit.
Ideally, you’d find the fine details fascinating, but use this to help us create an insightful picture for our clients. One of our favourite questions is” so what?”
People skills matter. This is a job for someone personable, with a good sense of humour.
What You Bring
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or related qualification
- A strong sense of agri-business and how to use technical knowledge to enrich practical research & implementation projects
- A hands-on approach & a love of getting things done
- Demonstrated capability in project management
- Good Emotional Intelligence
- Min 10 years of relevant work experience
- Mid-career switchers are very welcome. We are particularly interested in people who have practical experience in applying their understanding of business, economics and finance to the field of development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Good numeracy,
- French is a valued addition
What We Offer
Sense is a dynamic economic development consultancy working to solve the gritty development challenges faced by agri-business in Africa. The accelerating shift from aid to trade in global policy means that we’re on the cutting edge of development thinking. As a result, we work with an increasing number of major donors in the development sector. Some of our clients are The World Bank-IFC, GIZ (German Development Corporation), The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, CBI, USAID, Teagasc, COLEACP, etc.
Each year we tackle surprising challenges in a wide number of food supply chains such as fruits, nuts, livestock &dairy, spices and herbal botanicals, cereals and forestry. Our projects vary from developing strategies for development programs, to investment facilitation, sector development, business coaching, access to finance, value chain studies…the variety of assignments, clients and value chains we work in continues to grow.
We’re known for sharp thinking, fact-based insights, practical solutions and getting things done. So a Sense consultant is curious, inventive, has grit and is …well likeable. This is ultimately about people after all.
Sense offers a dynamic, international environment with lots of scope for personal and professional development. There are no cogs in the machine here. Each member of our team is important. And all the while you’ll be playing your part in bringing about meaningful, lasting change in Africa.
- This is a full-time position (40 hours per week)
- It includes regular regional and international travel
- Salary: Market related
- Fun, learning rich environment
- An international team
- A flexible, high performing team
- Communal lunches for sharing, learning and fun
- A talent development program that supports ongoing learning
- Mentorship to support growth and development
- Start date: January 2023
Please submit your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org