French Speaking Senior Development Consultant
Sense is a dynamic economic development consultancy working to solve the gritty development challenges faced by agri-business in Africa. The accelerating shift from aid to trade in global policy means that we’re on the cutting edge of development thinking. As a result we work with an increasing number of major donors in the development sector. Some of our clients are The World Bank-IFC, GiZ (German Development Corporation), The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, CBI, USAID, etc.
Each year we tackle surprising challenges in a wide number of food supply chains such as fruits, nuts, livestock & dairy, cereals and forestry. Our projects vary from developing strategies for development programs, to investment facilitation, sector development, business coaching, access to finance, value chain studies…the variety of assignments, clients and value chains we work in continues to grow.
We’re known for sharp thinking, fact based insights, practical solutions and getting things done. So a Sense consultant is curious, inventive, has grit and is …well likeable. This is ultimately about people after all.
We are recruiting a French Speaking Senior Development Consultant to be based in Durban, South Africa.
In this role you will be responsible for the management and implementation of sector and business development projects in a number of African countries for international donor projects such as the World Bank-IFC, GiZ, The Netherlands Enterprise Agency, Teagasc Ireland and various Embassies. As we work extensively in Francophone West Africa, French & English is required.
- Project design: You will work with senior team members to develop client relationships, draft project proposals and design development programs.
- Project implementation: You will oversee a variety of projects such as value chain analysis, business case development, sector strategy development, value chain benchmarking etc. This includes leading local teams in Africa and global experts. You will also be responsible for qualitative interviews, desk & field research, analysis and reporting, business modelling, client workshops, etc.
- Global linkages: Engage with the private sector and other stakeholders in importing countries to conduct market research, lead investment promotion and sourcing missions, roundtables, etc.
- Business/partnership development: Develop relationships with the private sector, sector associations, knowledge centres, etc.
Who You Are
We are looking for a sharp thinking, team player who wants to make a positive difference in the world and at work. You’re willing to take on new challenges and learn by doing. Our new colleague is able to work independently on different projects from beginning to end. They’re results-oriented and hands on. They are analytical and data driven and tackle projects with energy.
Ideally, you’d find the fine details fascinating, but use this to help us create an insightful picture for our clients. One of our favourite questions is ”so what?”
People skills matter. This is a job for someone personable, with a good sense of humor.
What You Bring
- Working and thinking at Master’s degree level
- Min 10 years of relevant work experience
- Mid-career switchers are very welcome. We are particularly interested in people who have practical experience. For example as farm managers, supply chain managers for agricultural companies, bankers in the agricultural sector, agri-processing engineers, sales for agricultural products, procurement of agricultural commodities, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- French is required, with German as an optional extra
What We Offer
Sense offers a dynamic, international environment with lots of scope for personal and professional development. There are no cogs in the machine here. Each member of our team is important. And all the while you’ll be playing your part in bringing about meaningful, lasting change in Africa.
- This is a full time, permanent position (40 hours per week)
- It includes regular regional and international travel
- Salary: Market related
- You must be willing to relocate to Durban, South Africa (we will assist with the facilitation of a work permit application)
- Start date: 1 August 2021
For more information about Sense, please visit www.timeforsense.com
Contact Kerry Kyd (email@example.com) with questions about this position. Would you like to apply? Send us your CV & a short cover note.