Dairy Extension Development Expert – Project/contract based
Sense is looking for a dairy development expert who can provide practical advice to extensionists and can develop training programs & materials for dairy extension officers.
This role is suited to a strategic thinker with practical skills, who can work at the level of extensionists and milk collection centres.
The successful candidate will be able to develop training material, fact sheets and posters by working with extensionists (workshops, trials etc.). Typical topics include questions about housing, feed rations using local fodder and crop residues, herd management, animal health, milk handling etc.
The practical advice should extend to the technical support of milk collection centres (milk handling, equipment handling, services to include for farmers etc.). Commercial understanding of dairy farms and milk collection centres is an added advantage.
Who you are
- Pragmatist – You are able to think strategically but can translate this into practical plans
- Results orientated – You love to see ideas realized
- Hands on – Experience in training and development of extension workers and the extension system of a district, region, or country. This includes course design, fact sheet and manual development etc.
- Proven experience in workshop development and designing of farmer field days.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with extensionists and can work with the government who are often important stakeholders
- International orientation – you are able to travel and can work to tailor advice to different contexts i.e., different environments, skill levels, availability of inputs, willingness and ability to invest, strong and weak, commercial and subsistence value chains.
- Commercial – you appreciate the commercial realities of farming
What you bring
- Minimum Masters Level or equivalent
- More than 10 years of related work experience
- South Africa Based
Who we are
Sense is a dynamic economic development consultancy working to solve the gritty development challenges faced by agri-business in Africa. The accelerating shift from aid to trade in global policy means that we’re on the cutting edge of development thinking. As a result, our team works with an increasing number of major donors in the development sector. Some of our clients are The World Bank-IFC, GiZ (German Development Corporation), The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, CBI, USAID, etc.
Each year we tackle surprising challenges in a wide number of food supply chains such as fruits, nuts, livestock & dairy, cereals and forestry. Our projects vary from developing strategies for development programs to investment facilitation, sector development, business coaching, access to finance, and value chain studies…the variety of assignments, clients and value chains we work in continues to grow.
We’re known for sharp thinking, fact-based insights, practical solutions and getting things done. So, as a Sense support team member, you are quick, deadline driven and are open and able to learn new approaches/tools quickly.
What we offer
Sense offers a dynamic, international environment with lots of scope for personal and professional development. There are no cogs in the machine here. Each member of our team is important. And all the while you’ll be playing your part in bringing about meaningful, lasting change in Africa.
- A competitive salary and a medical aid contribution
- Opportunities to learn, grow and build your CV
- Space to do “good work”- quality and making a difference in the world
- Generous annual leave
- Communal lunch where we laugh, chat and be the wonderful human beings we are
- A comfortable workspace
- A diverse team (gender, age, experience, nationality)
Please send us your CV and cover letter to us here